Team & Culture Building
Need fresh ideas for enriching your organization’s culture?
Looking to build a strong team and get everybody moving in the same direction?
Worried about the effects of conflict on your staff? Wondering how to transform it into forward motion?
Your team is the engine of your mission and knowing what makes it hum is key to success. One study estimates that close to 100% of employees say they would prefer a workplace where people identify and discuss issues truthfully. But it requires commitment and know-how to build a culture that encourages growth, an open exchange of ideas and tolerance for differing opinions. Staff need to feel they’re heard, that their ideas and efforts matter and that they're valued members of the team.
I work with organizations to create precisely this kind of team dynamic, which I call culture flow — when cultural practices are in alignment with core values. This approach guards against what I call culture drift, a loss of alignment with core values. I also assist staff in being what Daniel Coyne terms cultural champions — individuals who play an intentional role in building and maintaining an inspiring culture.
Using these and other frameworks, I can help you identify and resolve issues that may be holding your staff back, amplify your team's strengths, build Self-Leadership and turn vulnerabilities into vital assets. I’ve had extensive experience working with organizations to build and sustain more energizing, productive cultures that result in more satisfaction and better bottom-line results through staff retreats, targeted workshops, coaching and/or facilitated conversations.
“The very best teams all have one thing in common—their members share a common purpose and feel accountable for a common outcome.”
Roger Connors, Fix It: Getting Accountability Right
Sample Team & Culture Building Tools
- In-depth assessments of your team and culture
- The We Manual© is an interactive manual for optimizing individual and team performance while unleashing each staff member’s unique value; it’s a customized tool that boosts culture flow and minimizes culture drift, chronicling and shaping every aspect of organizational culture and history. Working in concert with the Me Manual,© the We Manual© serves as a powerful connector and catalyst for organizations that seek to innovate and thrive.
- Inventories to build self-awareness and teamwork such as the Interpersonal Leadership Styles, Social Styles and the Clifton Strengths Finder
Sample Team & Culture Building Topics
- Building your toolkit to ensure culture flow and minimize culture drift
- Learning key methods to turn staff into cultural champions
- Clarifying and enacting core values — the principles that an organization holds most dear and run through all of its structures and communication
- Creating and updating your organizational mission and vision
- Identifying, implementing and tweaking cultural practices — everything from casual Fridays to the structure of staff meetings
- Developing working agreements or guidelines that serve as a north star for how you and your colleagues communicate and work with each other in meetings, supervision and even informal conversations
- Strategizing about how you and your team can manage interpersonal and group conflict
- Specifying staff roles and responsibilities; updating staff job descriptions to ensure that they reflect the reality of day-to-day worklife
- Operationalizing structures to ensure all staff are clear on and empowered about their role in decision-making
TEAM & CULTURE BUILDING SERVICES
Coaching: Invest in your staff with transformational coaching! As most successful leaders know, staff development is a critical investment. When you’re looking to develop team and culture, individual coaching is a great way to do that. It significantly improves employee self-confidence, quality of work relationships, communication skills and work-life balance.
Staff Retreats: Studies show that organizations with high staff morale outperform their counterparts by 20%, and staff retreats can be a key morale booster. I work closely with groups to create a highly customized experience that builds staff’s connection to themselves, their colleagues and the team. Your staff will return to work energized and with new clarity and vision. Choose from half-day to 3-day formats to best suit your needs.
Facilitated Conversations: Boost the health of your organization by having an outside facilitator lead enlightening conversations on topics relevant to team unity and forward motion. Topics range from charged issues around gender to strategic planning. Typically 1-3-hour conversations for two or more people, in single or multiple sessions.
Team & Culture Building WORKSHOPSIn addition to the workshops below, I can create trainings on other topics on request.
The We Manual:©A Powerful Tool for Building Team & Culture
Some research shows that almost 100% of staff believe that team collaboration has a substantial impact on their work. Building a culture that fosters collaboration requires self-awareness and understanding of your colleagues. The We Manual© is an interactive tool that helps you build both, optimizing team performance while unleashing each staff member’s unique value. It increases culture flow and minimizes culture drift, chronicling and shaping every aspect of organizational culture and history, such as refining mission, core values, cultural practices and more. This customized, highly interactive workshop builds the connective tissue between your staff while increasing each participant’s self awareness, management and leadership skills. It can be delivered in one day, spread across a few days or presented at a staff retreat. Pairing this workshop with the Me Manual© workshop amplifies its impact.
The Me Manual:©Activating Your Staff and Team
Studies show that teams with higher levels of self-awareness score dramatically higher in coordination, decision quality and conflict management. The Me Manual© is an interactive manual for optimizing individual and team performance; it’s a customized tool used in both individual coaching, workshops and staff retreats that builds self-awareness, organizational culture and team performance. This customized, highly interactive workshop teaches team members how to prepare their Me Manual© and use it to make strong connections with their colleagues and the organization’s culture. It can be delivered in one day, spread across a few days or presented at a staff retreat. Pairing this workshop with the We Manual© workshop increases its impact.
Activating the Best in Yourself and Your Colleagues: Effectively Giving, Receiving and Asking for Feedback
According to some research, nearly 80% of employees who leave jobs cite feeling unappreciated as a main reason. This customized, highly interactive workshop provides a safe and creative space for staff to grow their capacity to give, receive and ask for feedback while participating in building a positive culture. It can be delivered in one day, spread across a few days or presented at a staff retreat. Your team will return to work with newfound dexterity in communicating and increased sensitivity to their coworkers’ feedback needs.
Interpersonal Leadership Styles (ILS): Taking Yourself and Your Team to the Next Level
A recent study found that 86% of leaders and staff cite lack of communication and collaboration as a major cause of dysfunction in the workplace. This workshop provides a deep dive into each team member’s ILS results and the impact of the strengths and challenges of each style on the team. It's highly interactive and can be delivered in one day, spread across a few days or presented at a staff retreat. Your staff will return to work with increased flexibility and awareness of their own as well as their colleagues’ styles, building individual and team performance.